I CAN Can

I knew I could do it. I mean canning runs deep into my veins. It would have been oh so much better with my mom and Nana by my side (no offense ladies) because I had so many questions running through my mind. And for some reason my memory fails me when it comes to the detailed steps of processing. But I do remember the smell of pears permeating the entire house, the lulling sound of bottles in the hot water bath on the stove and Nana's stories as I sat mesmorized by her constant peeling.

We started with about 80 pounds of pears. Wow, that was a lot of work. Then convincing ourselves that the blanching of peaches rather than tedious peeling of pears and adding a few more eager canners into the mix would improve our efficiency we tackled about 140 pounds of peaches. Are you tired yet?

Lessons learned:
1) Do not can if you think you are saving money by doing so. Sorry, but after you add up jars, sugar, fruit, lemon juice (not to even mention TIME) you are much better off taking a little trip to costco.

2) Is it worth it? Totally! Grocery store canned fruit is nastiness. Plus there is a lovely sense of accomplishment and provident living that comes along with each bottle.

3) It does get easier. You do get faster. The jars get prettier. And friendships become stronger.

5 comments:

Babbel Family said...

Ya I don't think I can do it. It seems like so much work! BTW- why in the world am I not on your blog list??????? RUDE!!!

Darcy Case said...

I did pears a few weeks ago, and we blanched them and the skins just slipped right off, just a little tip for the future. Your right though, you don't save any money but you do feel so domestic and something about that is a great feeling!

Julie Avery said...

aw. Had a BLAST canning that day. Thanks for bringing your expertise! :) Had pears tonight with dinner....mmmmmm. like candy

Meliss said...

they look delish! have i told you lately how amazing you are?

Erick & Molly said...

Oh, It was so fun...you did however forget one more lesson learned...BE SURE TO BUY THE ON SALE PEARS FROM THE RIGHT STORE!!
I can't wait to do it again!